Thursday, May 1, 2008

An Interlude: Annnouncing A Major Project Undertaking

Hi all and welcome.

I am taking a quick break from finishing my explanation of "The Kundalini" and my experience with one in order to mention that I have begun work on probably my most ambitious web site to date and it doesn't get more challenging than this. Over the last 20 years I have video taped almost, well heck let's forget the word 'almost' and just say every, everything my two girls have done be it school plays, dance recitals, practice for dance recitals, live theatre group work they have done, visits to amusement parks, all family birthdays for ALL of us and virtually every get together our family has ever had. It totals somewhere around 150 video tapes of 2hour length duration. I have been meaning to put them all onto DVD but then I thought gee whiz that would simply make it 150 DVD's so I have come up with an alternative plan. Each 2 hour tape recorded in high quality is going to be around 7 GB's of data. Multiply this by 150 and we have about a Terra Byte's worth of recording. Now since the price of these large hard drives is falling I have come up with another plan. I am putting all my videos on a personal website, open to anyone but really meant for friends and family. In order to do this of course I have to download it onto my hard drive, convert to .flv and then post it but all the data will be on my hard drive so when the time comes I will simply buy 2 - Two Terra byte (2000 GB's) drives. One will be for Angelica, my oldest and one also for Marianna. On these two drives will be all 150 tapes in both .mpeg and .flv formats. The original tapes I will suggest go into a safety deposit box as a hedge against some future calamity. Although the 2000 GB drives are about $699.00 at the present in a couple of years I would think they will be around 299.00 and that I will be able to afford. Well rather than just talk about it why don't you take a visit to the site by clicking here:

We Grew Up Barones

Please be advised that there are some pretty boring moments on these tapes but my idea all along, for the last 20 years was to build an archive for my children and their children children's so in order to make it easier to wade through the quiet stuff I have also included an index on each tape. Please enjoy and all comments will be mostly appreciated.

Best wishes and thanks for listening.
Don Barone

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Don

I make one rare visit to Maat and find this news - you blogging!

Welcome to the world of bloggers. :-)I've been out here since prema (of Maat) mde me a partner in her blog about 4 years ago. Had my own blog just over a year now. I sort of moved my writing obsessions from forums to blogs.

Come over and visit some time!

Don Barone said...

Hi Michelle how thoughtful of you to drop in. Yes my daughter had hounded me for years to write some of my thoughts and ideas down and she is convinced it I had done it when she first asked me "The DaVinci Code" would have been easily proven to be a steal from my writings but alas I didn't and so Dan Brown made the billions and I am unemployed at the moment. Not sure if I like nature's little jokes. Regardless I am starting two major projects at the moment. The first is my life story here on my blog and the second is transferring all my video tapes over to my computer and then to DVD. It is tragic but it appears the tapes have deteriorated over the 20 years they have sat there with them getting darker and loosing colour. Not sure if I can correct for that or not but I am sure going to try. Anyway will read your writings as time allows and again thanks for visiting and leaving the message !

Best Wishes
Don Barone