Tuesday, April 29, 2008

November 22, 1963: The Day It All Changed

Hi all and I bid you welcome.

Anyone over the age of 50 has his or hers special memory of that day so very long ago yet so chillingly fresh in our minds. How often I heard it said of the previous generation in regards to Pearl Harbour and here it is now coming up on 45 years and still it is crystal clear in my mind and not a memory has faded. Strange sometimes how our mind works. Here is my recollections of that day for what it is worth.

In 1963 I was a happy, out going and cheerful lad of 13 who saw life through rose coloured glasses. I had two great parents, lots of friends was totally secure in my beliefs of safety and security and life was good. That was soon to change.

I had just entered Grade 9 in the fall of 1963 and was finding it a bit difficult making the transition. I mean all those girls and me still a kid of 13 - boy it was tough especially being in classes where there were 15 year olds, both boys and girls. But that is another story for later. Now I am not sure why but there was an overflow of students that year and they decided to split us into two schools more or less. I was to attend school from 7:00 AM to 1:00 PM and the following year I was to attend from 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM. I know it sounds horrible but it was quite enjoyable finishing school at 1:00 and having the rest of the day to yourself if you didn't have any homework. November 22nd for me was like any other day that had preceded it. It was a typical Friday and I was excited that it was Friday again and was looking forward to the weekend. As was normal for me I sat myself down at the dining room table, turned the TV on, got my books out and proceeded to start my homework. Droning on in the background was I believe "The Edge of Night" and then came the interruption over the airways. And even to this day my heart stops when ever I hear these words ...




As I have written elsewhere it is difficult to convey to someone who did not hear those bulletins first hand the shock and overwhelming grief that overcame me as the moments progressed. I remember vividly after the first bulletin which I guess I didn't catch clearly but I went running into the kitchen to tell my mother that the president had been shot. She said "Which president" I said 'President Kennedy" . She said oh no that is impossible it was probably a president of a university or another country she said and so I set off doing more of my homework. As the second bulletin came on and it was obvious that it was President Kennedy who had been shot she did not say much she just stayed in the kitchen. And then that final awful and legendary announcement from Walter Cronkite that President Kennedy had died at 1:00 CST some 38 minutes ago making the time at the moment of announcement 1:38 CST or 2:38 Eastern time. I remember getting this huge knot in my stomach and running into the kitchen to tell my mom (we were the only two who were home at the time since my dad was working and my two brothers had the normal full school day) and I remember that she just broke into spontaneous tears and started crying as hard as I had ever seen her do this, and not before, even with the death of her own parents, nor until the day that she died did she ever cry that hard again. Perhaps a bit of her was torn off as well.

It is a legacy of the moment that whenever, even to this day I hear "Here is a bulletin ... " although with CNN and modern networking this rarely occurs anymore, the knot returns and I get a lump in my throat and my heart wants to stop. For me it was the day everything changed for if "they" could kill a President of The United States .... what chance did I have if I really wanted to make a difference and that my friends is why in my very small way I try to keep his spirit alive for he was trying to fight them and he paid for it with his life.

But now on a more analytical view. Please watch the video again and note that the bulletin has only just come in and already they have the suspect described and the weapon identified. I think proof beyond measure that the story was a plant and that Oswald was a patsy and was set-up from the beginning. Once again thank you for listening. Best Wishes - Don Barone

A Radio Remembrance: How it sounded on the radio

No comments: